Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 27 – Controlled Splurging and Bad Technology

Well, my dear readers, my post tonight will not include details regarding my victorious first Couch-to-5K training day. Nothing about how I pushed myself out of my comfort zone, persevering over self-doubt and utter disbelief. No sir, not one detail. Why, you ask? Well... um...

The iPod ate my running program.

No... seriously... it made it go bye-bye, adios, sayonara, au revoir, auf wiedersehen, arrivederci... or as my son would say “All gone.”

Three hours trying to get my iPod and iTunes to speak to each other properly, to upload, download, and reload everything I needed to make today -the- day I take my life changes to a new level. I was thisclose... then, in the midst of trying just one more Help section trick, it was gone. All gone. All of the podcasts, music, playlists... everything. I was holding a blank iPod in my hand and had an empty iTunes library on my computer.

Well, crap...

Actually, what I said was much more “colorful” that that, but you get the idea.

Needless to say, by the time this climatic end occurred, my gym was closed, dinner needed to be fixed, my son's bath time was upon me, and my friends were starting to show up for Game Night.

I hadn't yet had a shower or even brushed my teeth for the day. What can I say? I had a late start to the day. But now I was so far behind (and so incredibly frustrated) that I had to pull myself together, re-prioritize, and move forward. I called in the troops (hubby and mom), put a light dinner together (baked chicken breasts with mushrooms and fat free cream of mushroom soup on top of brown rice), bathed my son, and took a long, hot shower.

A cleansing 20 minutes of zen. Instant relaxation... mmm...

I took an hour and a half to reload some of the podcasts and music that I had lost, but I have hours more to add and re-organize. Still, my 5K training playlists are loaded and ready to go. So am I!

I see today only as a temporary setback, a challenge to be overcome and a lesson to be learned. Tomorrow will start earlier with a focus on making good choices; with my food, my activity, and my time. I will spend quality time with my family, eat plenty of fruits and veggies (didn't get many in this weekend), and I -will- complete Day 1 of the Couch-To-5K program. One day does not define me, but I will make every day count!

Tonight, I make a conscience decision to splurge. It completely finished off my weekly points, but it was well worth it!

For Game Night, the guys and I had our usual veggie and fruit feast, filling up on the good stuff first. But tonight, instead of splitting a pizza, someone brought those break-and-bake cookies; Chocolate Chunk and White Chocolate Macadamia. Oh my... It took quite a bit of control not to just dive head-first into the pre-formed lumps of cookie dough. So yummy! Instead, I waited until they were baked and cooled. I then chose to have one of each kind. There was no “I just -have- to have another!” urge, no “I couldn't help myself” rhetoric. Nope! I considered my options, made a conscience decision, and enjoyed every last morsel. I am still surprised sometimes at how much more delicious food tastes when it's not being wolfed down mindlessly.

After the first cookie, I really was full, but I chose to eat the other. After that, I was stuffed; a feeling I'm not very comfortable with anymore. It's almost too much which helps me keep my cravings and impulses in check. I have no interest in feeling stuffed again for a good long while.

So there we have it; Day 27 done and done. Wow, I've been blogging every day for almost a month now. Doesn't seem like that much time has passed, yet I'm only a few days away from another goal (blogging for one month). These days, I can't imagine going to bed without posting something, no matter how late it is. I'm addicted to this, mainly because of the feedback and insight it gives me. What I've discovered though blogging has completely changed some of my ways of thinking. I wasn't expecting that to be sure. :)

For now, dear readers, I bid you a good night. As always, it's late and I am headed off to become re-acquainted with my pillow.

~H.

0 comments:

Post a Comment