Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 23 - Not All Rollercoasters are at Amusement Parks

Yeesh, what a day! It started about 5:30am with another strong storm moving through the area and now, at 12:30am, I'm not quite done yet. I considered not blogging tonight, but the thought of not sharing just one little NSV didn't sit well. So, here I am, you lucky readers you.

Today was like a rollercoaster; all ups and downs, twists and turns (emotionally, physically, mentally). It wasn't dull, I'll give it that. But tonight, I don't want to dwell on the negative. Yesterday's post felt very heavy to me, so for this evening's post, I want to share a positive moment I had today. I think it was a first for me as well. I cannot remember ever doing this before, so it's a bit of a big deal for me. It happened like this...

As I said before, it's been a very busy day and, sometimes when I get busy, I get distracted and neglect to eat when I should. Never a good idea because then I become hungry... starving... and I'll eat just about anything you put in front of me. Not a good scenario when you're trying to make good choices. If I'm out and about, every fast food place I look at beckons me with their siren calls... flashy colorful lights... promises of a big meal for only $1.99... fast service at the drive-thru... No one has to know if I fudge my points and order that super-sized french fry. I can stop, buy, eat, and throw away the evidence without anyone being the wiser. Oh yeah, by 8pm (not having had a meal since around 10am-ish) I was in that mode. Not good.

I was driving along one of the main streets in town which means that nearly every imaginable fast food place was within easy reach; just turn left here for McDonald's or turn right there for Dairy Queen. Pizza... burgers... fries... roast beef sandwiches... you name it. I could have it. All I had to do was pull into a drive-thru lane and it would be mine! Worst yet, I was heading to the grocery store to do my weekly shopping. Not just running in for a few things, but there for the long haul of stocking up. Really not good.

Images of bacon cheeseburgers, large fries, fresh made sushi, bakery goodies, and all manner of culinary delights swirled in my brain at a near fever pitch from lack of food. I knew that if I didn't take charge of the situation, my weekly points would be toast along with my weight loss this week. I was not going to let that happen!

I started telling myself to get a grip, that I could make it though this moment of weakness and succeed. Anyone who was driving along the road with me must have thought me completely insane as I (out loud) talked myself into pulling into a parking lot near a cluster of fast food establishments. Yes, I'm jabbering at myself for a good mile until coming to rest in front of a Dairy Queen and a Taco Bell. Across the street was McDonalds. I pulled in (facing away from the buildings), stopped the car, and took a breath. "Make a plan," I told myself... still out loud... "Sit here and make a plan. Get something to satisfy, but not overload, then go to the store." I took my Weight Watchers Dining Out Companion Guide out of my purse (yes, I always carry it with me) and decided on a plan...

First, I limited my options. I chose to only consider those restaurants closest to me (Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, McDonald's, and Culver's). As I was eating on the go, these were my best options for speed. Remember, it was already after 8pm and I still had at least 1-2 hours of shopping ahead of me. Speed was a necessary part of this choice.

Next, I scanned through all possible healthy options at each place. A salad was not going to work for this situation (eating in the car on the run) and I knew I would feel better with a good combination of protein, carbs, and fat. It still had to be light as I was going to have dinner when I returned home. That eliminated most of the menu options.

I then checked the point values for the few items left. I really wanted to keep them under 8 if possible. That eliminated Dairy Queen and Culver's completely. So, what was left? A regular hamburger at McDonald's (5pts), a McD's cheeseburger (regular - 7pts) or a few of the Fresco menu items at Taco Bell (most are 3pts). Talk about a relatively simple choice!

In the end, I chose a Fresco Style Steak Soft Taco (3pts), an order of Pintos-N-Cheese (3pts and a personal favorite), and a medium Diet Pepsi (0pts). I had a reasonably-sized, light, fast, lower-fat, delicious meal for 6pts. It was awesome! I sat in the parking lot and ate my meal, paying attention to the food, relishing it, enjoying every last mouthful! No guilt, no heavy, fatty mass sitting in my stomach for hours... nope! I felt recharged and ready to shop...

...and shop I did! I stuck to my list, only adding a few items that we needed, but I had forgotten to write down. If I hadn't stopped to eat, I can't imagine what would have ended up in my cart. I probably would have grabbed a lot of snack-type items and a couple of sushi rolls that would not have made it home. Instead, I came home with a ton of fresh fruit and veggies, lots of lower fat/lower calorie healthy items and a clear plan for meals over the next week. I know my family and I will enjoy our meals and my point count will stay within plan. Too cool!!

An excellent NSV to say the least! I am no longer Living to Eat. I am Eating to Live. I am in control of my food intake and it feels soooooooooo goooooooooooood!! I can do this. I am making this journey a success each and every day. 23 days so far; 23 successes. We are not the numbers on the scale. We are made up of successes and learning experiences (I no longer believe in the word 'failure'.) I am committed to this journey, this roller-coaster ride of becoming healthy and no cheeseburger craving is doing to destroy it for me!

Thank you for joining me on this journey! Whether you lurk in the shadows or leave your comments below, I know you are there and it warms my heart, motivates me, and make me smile. None of us are alone and I am grateful every day for that. :)

Sleep tight, my readers, my friends. Till tomorrow...

~H.

1 comments:

grtburger said...

you have to see how silly this DIEt you're on is. you're depriving yourself in every single post all for what? to fit a smaller clothing size? it's not healthy to eat the way you are. if counting points were a healthy and natural way to eat the entire world would be doing it. not to mention all the unhealthy chemicals your putting in your body. if you are buying food because it is low fat or low calorie think of what they put in to replace that. chemicals. what do chemicals do? they keep you fat. good luck with everything.

Post a Comment