Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 46 - Water Water Everywhere!

Before I get into my main chunk of my blog, I have to share this amazing breakfast I enjoyed this morning with you...

This is a big breakfast for me, but sooooo delicious! Three low-fat, higher fiber blueberry pancakes (6pts) with sugar free syrup (0) and extra blueberries (0.5) on top, a fresh broccoli (0) and cheese (1) egg substitute (1) omelet, a cup of almond milk (1) and my first 1-liter bottle of water (0) for today. Total Weight Watchers points = 9.5.

I usually like to keep my breakfast points to 8 or less, but today I was in need of a hearty meal. Yesterday had ended with me and several friends in the pool at an impromptu barbecue, but it was the culmination of a busy and NSV rewarding day.

After waking up very early with my son (as a favor to the hubby), I grabbed a light breakfast and took a quick nap before heading to my friend Trina's house for a clothes swap. Both of us have been losing weight over the past year and now we were in need of some smaller sizes; a big boost with the motivation and self-esteem! 

She is down to a size 16, while I'm thisclose to an 18. Heck, I may be there already, but just don't know it yet. I'll admit... I'm a bit scared to see that number on all my clothes. Why? Because, surprisingly enough, I've discovered that reaching goals that seemed like pipe dreams years ago... even only a few months ago... is stressful. The pressure to make the goal is one thing. The pressure to maintain that goal (or even move past it) is a different beast altogether. The former involves struggle, challenge, and hope while the later involves fear; fear of getting to goal only to lose your momentum. Fear of regaining all of the weight you struggled to lose. Fear of failing... again... Truly a challenge I never expected to have. 

I ended up with 2 large bags of "new", smaller clothes that I am very much looking forward to wearing. This included a size 18/20 2-piece swimsuit. Both of those facts are significant to me; the size (as I stated above) is lower than anything I've worn in nearly 18 years and the fact that it's a 2-piece. Yes, it's one of those tankinis that's become so popular the last few years, but still... it's a 2-piece! I haven't worn a 2-piece bathing suit since I was a child! Not even during my pre-teen or teen years did I feel comfortable in a 2-piece of any kind. I was a young kid when I wore my last one and that wasn't even a bathing suit. It was a set of Supergirl Underoos that I loved. Yeah, I know, I'm a geek. :)
my "new" 2-piece tankini

Trina and I celebrated by trying out a new restaurant called PHO Square. It's a lovely little Vietnamese place near my house and boy, all I can say is WOW! Sooooo gooooood!!! I've never had Vietnamese food before and now I think I'm spoiled. We shared some fresh Spring Rolls (2 per order) with a little hoisen sauce (avoiding the peanut sauce completely), then each of us dove into a small order of Veggie Pho. I now know that pho is a rice noodle soup. The Veggie Pho I had was full of noodles, vegetables, perfectly cooked tofu, and fresh herbs. Oh... My... Goodness! Even on a hot day, this was perfect! I enjoyed a small Diet Pepsi, then switched to water for the rest of the meal. I will be going back very soon, hopefully taking the hubby with so I can get him hooked as well. :)

We then went to the mall to window shop and get some air-conditioned walking in. I can proudly say I didn't crave a single food item while I was there. I was full of pho and water (had finished my first liter on the way) and was able to enjoy the shopping and company instead of trying to decide where to eat next. Love it!!

After dropping Trina off, I headed to Monkey Joe's (local kiddie play place) to catch up with hubby, son, and mother-in-law before heading to the grocery store. Turns out earlier in the day my son played ninja and hijacked a cupcake from a party that was there . He was so proud that he could tell my horrified MIL what a cupcake was before plunging it into his mouth that I just had to laugh when I heard the story. He is really starting to communicate with words so much more. Makes my heart sing every time he does, even when he's being naughty. (see Day 24 for background on this)

Grocery shopping has become much more fun (and a longer process) than it was before I started down this weight loss path. I am a fanatical label reader, both from a health and from a mom perspective. I want healthy items within arms reach at home as much as possible; no sugar cereals, no candy, no junk food disguising themselves as "health foods"... I want healthy, but within my budget. It's a real balancing act sometimes, but I see it as a challenge and well worth all the effort. 

While I was at the store, I received a phone call from Trina, asking if the family and I wanted to join some friends for a BBQ and some swimming. Well, I hadn't been to the gym yet and I do so love to swim, so I agreed and, after being passed around the room, figured out what I needed to bring with for dinner. I chose some Johnsonville smoked sausages (Turkey with Cheddar - 3pts and Chili Cheese - 6pts), some Hebrew National 97% Fat Free All Beef hot dogs (1) and some Healthy Life Whole Wheat hot dog buns (1). A good mix for the masses. :)

Hubby and I headed over around 7:30pm (Mom watched the little guy at home) and we spent the next several hours eating low-fat Kettle chips (3pts per oz), hot dogs, and sausages, and swimming. Lots and lots of swimming. Did you know that 3 hours of leisurely swimming gives you 13 activity points? That's a lot of fat-burning fun!

By the end of the night, I had consumed 3oz chips, 1 hot dog, 1 sausage and was utterly exhausted from swimming. I had finished 2 liters of water during the day and had wiped out a liter of water with Crystal Lite while at the BBQ. I came home and had a large salad (1pt for dressing), 1/2c blackberries (0.5) some more water, and a serving of low fat sugar free Peanut Butter Fudge ice cream (2). Since I had all of my Weekly Points available, I had no problem indulging just a smidge. :)

All in all, an amazing day! Great food, great friends, great activity! When I finally laid my head on my pillow, I do believe I fell asleep smiling. It was wonderful to feel so complete and positive! Between my water intake and all of the activity, I slept so soundly, I'm not sure a fire alarm could have awoken me. Very glad one didn't try. :)

I could go on, but this post is already quite long. So, I will sign off here, wishing each of you the same type of blessings I have received. My best to each of you, dear readers!

Until next time...

~H.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

.

Anonymous said...

Ack! I lost my whole comment!

What an insight re: hitting a milestone. Huh. Not fear of success, but fear that success will ultimately result in another failure--thus proving that I couldn't do this after all.

Huh. That rings true to me. I'm going to have to think on that. Thanks.

AND--Cngratulations on the smaller size! Wahoo, you!

Deb

Sharon said...

Hey Heather,

Got to your blog from Deb's Freedom Challenge blog list. We are both participating and I'm trying to check out the blogs of all my fellow participants. Have really enjoyed yours. You've got some fun goals. I like the one about trying something new each week, but leaving yourself open as to what that new experience will be. I will enjoy following along with you through the challenge.

Sharon

Post a Comment