Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy Week, But Where Did the Time Go?

I have to apologize. I promised a new blog post days ago, before this week became crazy. And since I keep my promises, here I am! You forgive me, right? Yes? Good! :)

Last week (and this week so far) has been absolutely wonderful! It's been months since I've felt this good, this comfortable about my food choices and work towards my weight loss/gaining health goals. I've had a lot of support and encouragement lately, which is always appreciated, especially from some folks who know exactly what I'm going through. You guys have been great! Thank you!

Have you ever noticed how inspiring and motivating support can be when you're in a positive head space than when you're wallowing in negativity? That happens to me a lot. I'll be really depressed and the encouragement feels more like a reminder of failure or a slap in the face. When I'm feeling better, when my head's in the game a bit more, then the positive words I hear resonate with me and help motivate me even more. Do any of you have this issue? Does this journey ever feel like an unforgiving rollercoaster sometimes? I know it does for me.

So, mentally, I've been very positive lately. Physically, I've been battling a nasty respiratory infection that just won't let go. It's fighting me every step of the way, though (as of Friday) I'm starting to feel like my "normal" self again. As of today, I'm still clearing out the last vestiges of its grip on my lungs, just in time for my stress test tomorrow. I may even try a workout today, though I know it won't be easy. I've been out of commission for nearly 2 weeks now, so it's about regaining some ground first, then back into a full-on exercise schedule. Still, I know it'll feel good to sweat again even if it means a gain on the scale.

Going back to some of the support I've been receiving lately... If you read about my binge and break-down a couple of weeks ago, you know that one big source of support has been my Weight Watchers leader and meeting members. I've returned to my usual Tuesday night meeting and I know that was an important and positive change for me. A number of the regulars have been with me since I started, so they know what I've been through and encourage me every step of the way. This week, I had an amazing moment with a wonderful Lifetimer. She lost close to 100lbs and has kept it off for years now. She is at the meeting every Tuesday and is a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration. I sat next to her this week and she told me that she was glad I was back on Tuesdays, that I had been missed and that I... *I* was inspiring to her. To HER! Can you say flabbergasted?! I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. Here is an amazing lady that I look at every week, saying to myself that if she could do it, I can too. She is my example, my vision of success every week and she called me an inspiration. Just wow...

Another source has been a couple of my blog/twitter friends; Kenz at All the Weigh (@alltheweigh) and Brad Gansberg at Brad Gansberg's Thoughts On... (@bradgansberg). They've sent me some tweets to keep my spirits up when I was down and cheered me on when I was successful. Even more motivational was achieving a goal I had wanted to for several weeks; my 7 Day Chip! If you haven't heard of this, here's Brad's explanation. Basically, it's making choices and following though on those choices for 7 days in a row. For me, those choices included: no binges, tracking, and feeling confident in those choices. Last Monday, I had stuck to those choices for 7 complete days, earning my 7 Day Chip. Tomorrow will be 14 days completed and nearly halfway to achieving my 30 Day Chip. I can't wait!

Even though I was sick, I've been back on a healthy track (sans exercise) for nearly two weeks now and I can say I'm feeling very good about it. I was even able to make it through last night's Italian Pasta Night with my friends without starving, binging, or feeling guilty. I chose sensible portions, enjoyed a few (small) glasses of wine, even had some tiramisu for dessert. Unlike the hubby, I ended the meal feeling satisfied, but not stuffed to the gills. It was a wonderful time for all of us and we have plans to do it again next month (mexican night) to help celebrate two birthdays (one being mine. Yay!) It reminded me that I'm not on a "diet", but just changing my life for the better.

Weigh-in this week may or may not happen on Tuesday as the weathermen here in northern Illinois are predicting snow on Monday leading to blizzard-like conditions for Tuesday and Wednesday. I may go to WW tomorrow to make sure I can get this week's meeting and an official weigh-in in for the week. I'm not too concerned about the number on the scale. After last week's crazy 6.8lb loss, I wouldn't be surprised if my body freaks out a little and I show a gain. I'm just hoping the gain is small.

Tomorrow is also the deadline for My Goal #1. I never defined my monthly goals out loud as they're determined on a month-by-month basis depending on what would be best to help me continue finding success. This month's goal (in my mind) was to show a net loss for the month. No specific number. Just a loss for January. I feel that this is going to happen though Tuesday's/tomorrow's weigh-in will determine how much of a loss. I think next month's goal will be similar unless I have other difficulties along the way.

Overall, a great two weeks and I am optimistic for the coming week as well. Even if I get buried under a mountain of snow, I have my 30 Day Shred and Super Strength dvds at the ready. My hand weights, yoga mat, resistance band, and clean exercise clothes leave me no excuses. Even if the power goes out, I have stairs that I can use. No excuses!

Click here for more Empty Calories
Have a great week everyone! If you don't hear from me in the next few days, send in an arctic extraction team armed with plenty of tiramisu and Ben & Jerry's. Oh, and pizza. My little guy requests pizza... Extra cheese...

0 comments:

Post a Comment