Sunday, December 5, 2010

Weight Watchers Makes a Change



GAH!!! That was my first thought when I heard the new PointsPlus plan laid out. It seems WW decided to radically change their Points plan, gearing the overall vibe towards a healthier overall diet (as in what you eat, not as in just losing weight). They've decided to "reward" fresh fruit and veggies & lean proteins with lower Points values and higher carb, fat, and processed foods with higher Points values. High, in this case, is not good. Points are now figured by a complex equation using Total Carbs, Total Fat, Protein, and Fiber (previous: Calories, Fat, Fiber) which has changed nearly every Points value in the system (including most of WW's own products).  Many of the low-Point staples I kept stocked in my pantry are now much higher in Points than I may want to spend. A totally new way of thinking, new set of Points to remember, and new style of shopping. Like I said.. GAH!!

Of course my daily points have gone up (from 30 to 35) and the number of weekly points has risen dramatically (from 35 to 49). I liked the idea of having more points to play with (both daily and weekly), having fruit & most veggies be 0pts, the leaning towards lean proteins, and the distancing from processed foods. But then the dark side came out... I'd have to buy all new materials. Wasn't at all happy about that aspect, especially in my economically-challenged position. Double GAH!!

Out with the old...
...and in with the new!

I had been using some wonderful websites to help me determine my points (Dotti's Weight Loss Zone and WikiWeightWatcher) and now those are out-of-date. (I feel for the poor folks who spent the last several years compiling all of that info. Yeesh!)

I can take a little comfort in knowing that everyone involved with WW is now starting from scratch and I'm not alone in this. But, I also know that until I have regular access to meetings and eTools again, following this new plan is going to be challenging. Still, I've decided to try.

I have purchased (while still offered at a discount) a new calculator (absolutely essential!!), new Companion guide, and new Dining Out guide (I wanted new ones for the beginning of the year anyway). I will follow the plan the best that I can though I've already run into a couple of instances where I've desperately needed eTools (cooking with fruit changes the points value of the fruit ingredient). Still, I'll make educated guesses where needed and reserve some of my weekly points to cover them.

An absolute must!! Can't figure out Point values without one!

If any fellow WW followers out there know of some good, non-eTools-based reference websites I could utilize, please let me know! I'd also love to hear your thoughts on the new program. What part of it excites you the most? What part makes you mad? Do you think this program will be easier or harder to follow?

I hope to return to full-time WW meetings & eTools soon. Until then, I'll keep fighting the good fight and work towards reaching some goals. I have my next Y Coach Assist meeting on Tuesday and I'm hoping to report some good news. The way I've been adding on extra weight to some of my Nautilus weight training sessions and how much more flexible I've become seems to be a good sign!

My handy-dandy trusty Tracker!

Until then, dear friends!
~Heather

0 comments:

Post a Comment