Sunday, October 25, 2009

Another day, another post

Wow, two posts in two days. So far, a record for me. I should have started this post earlier, before clearing out the 200+ messages in my woefully ignored email inbox. It's amazing how much energy can be expelled while completing such a mundane task. Still, I had the remainder of my iced coffee and slivers of donut to bolster me through the mountain of electronic communiques. I think I will devote an extra 10 minutes of my well-meaning blogging schedule each day to keeping my inbox a bit more under control. The donuts, on the other hand, will become a dream realized only on rare occasions. They were yummy today, I must admit; fresh, well glazed, and delightful in their finish. But I digress...

I have been trying for several days to change my sleep/wake schedule with wildly mixed results. In the past 24 hours, my "evening" began at 1:30pm and ended at 10:45pm. With the exception of an hour break from 8pm-9pm, this was the greatest amount of continuous sleep I have had in weeks. Of course, I have been awake now since 10:45pm last night, so I am probably not as coherent as I could be. Still, the odd manic wave of energy I'm riding is at least cutting my mental to-do list down to a more reasonable size. (Grocery shopping at 5:30am anyone?) The Army used to advertise the slogan "We do more before 9am than others do all day." It feels a bit like that, except I've had to be up and mobile for 10 hours first. Still, it'll guarantee I'll be tired enough to get to bed "at a decent hour" as my mom always says. I love her dearly, but her concept of a "decent" hour and my definition are quite different. Of course, that gap has closed in recent years with the birth of my son. For the last two years, he has decided when my waking moments occur and when I get to squeeze "just a few more minutes" into my bed schedule. He is the love of my life. I still want my lazy Saturday mornings back.

Hmmm, 10:30am. Mom's watching the boy and the donut-and-coffee-driven wave is crashing on the beach of daylight. I think I'll try to fit in a few indecent minutes of sleep on this lazy Sunday morning. Zzzzzzzz...

0 comments:

Post a Comment